- 1 cabbage (about two pound), finely shredded
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 12 bay leaves
- 600 ml distilled white vinegar
- 600 ml white wine (or water)
Put the cabbage in a large bowl with a quarter-teaspoon of salt, mix well and leave it overnight at room temperature to soften.
Fill a nonreactive pan with water, 1 extra tablespoon of salt and the rest of the ingredients. Bring it to a boil. Let it cool and then stir in the cabbage.
Mix well, then transfer to sterilized jars. Seal, shake well, refrigerate for 4 days before using. It will keep for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator.